- Dr S Whitaker, Institute of Occupational Health, University of Birmingham, Birmingham B15 2TT, UK
- First published June 1, 2001.
- NVVB (The Dutch Association for Occupational Health Nurses), Profile �97. Occupational health nurse, a nursing specialist with a wide range of functions within the occupational health care. Amserdam: NVVB, August 1997.
- Weel ANH, van-der-Beck AJ, Kroon PJ, et al. Recent changes in occupational medicine in the Netherlands. International Archives of Occupational and Environmental Health, 1999;75:291- 5.
- Health and Safety Commission and Health and Safety Executive. Securing health together. Sudbury: HSE publications, 2000,
- Khan S. Sickness absence data. Croner�s Management of Health Risks, 1997;9:29.
- Verow P, Hargreaves C. Healthy workplace indicators: costing reasons for sickness absence within the UK National Health Service. Occup Med 2000;50:251- 7.
- Ritchie KA, Macdonald EB, Gilmour WH, et al. Analysis of sickness absence among employees of four NHS trusts. Occup Environ Med 1999;56:702- 8.
- Royal College of Physicians. Guidance on ethics for occupational physicians. London: Faculty of Occupational Medicine, Royal College of Physicians, 1999.
- Buijs P, van Amstel R, van Dijik F Dutch occupational physicians and general practitioners wish to improve co-operation. Occup Med 1999;56:709- 13.
- McKevitt C, Morgan M, Dundas, et al. Sickness absence and "working through" illness: a comparison of two professional groups. J Public Health Med 1997;19:295- 300.
- Virtanen P, Nakari R, Ahonen H, et al. Locality and habitus: the origins of sickness absence practices, Soc Sci Med 1999;50:27- 39.
- Kivimaki M, Vahetra J, Pentti J, et al.. Factors underlying the effect of downsizing on health of employees: longitudinal cohort study. BMJ 2000;320:971- 5.
- Stansfeld S, Head J, Ferrie J. Short-term disability, sickness absence, and social gradients in the Whitehall II study. Int J Law Psychiatry 1999;22:425- 39.
- Akerlind I, Alexanderson K, Hensing G, et al. Sex differences in sickness absence in relation to parental status. Scand J Soc Med 1996;24:27-35.
- Feeney A, North F, Head J, et al. Socioeconomic and sex differentials in reason for sickness absence from the Whitehall II study. Occup Environl Med 1998;55:91- 8.
- Hensing G, Alexanderson K, Akerlind I, et al. Sick leave due to minor psychiatric morbidity: role of sex integration. Society of Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology 1995;30:39- 43.
- Mastekaasa A. Parenthood, gender and sickness absence. Society of Scientific Medicine, June 2000.
- Sharp C, Watt S. A study of absence rates in male and female employees working in occupations of equal status. Occupational Medicine 1995;45:131- 6.
- Baker CC, Pocok SJ. Ethnic differences in certified sickness absence. Br J Industr Med 1982;39:277- 82.
- Matrunola P. Is there a relationship between job satisfaction and absenteeism?, Journal of Advanced Nursing 1996;23:827- 34.
- Song R, Daly BJ, Rudy EB, et al. Nurses� job satisfaction, absenteeism, and turnover after implementing a special care unit practice model. Research in Nursing & Health 1997;20:443- 52.
- Unden AL. Social support at work and its relationship to absenteeism. Work and Stress 1996;10:46- 61.
- Stansfeld SA, Fuhrer R, Head J, et al. Work and psychiatric disorder in the Whitehall II study. J Psychosom Res 1997;43:73- 81.
- Furnham A, Walsh J. Consequences of person environment incongruence: absenteeism, frustration, and stress. J Soc Psychol 1991;131:187- 204.
- Jenkins R. Minor psychiatric morbidity in employed young men and women and its contribution to sickness absence. Br J Industr Med 1985;42:147- 54.
- Laitinen Krispijn S, Bijl RV. Mental disorders and employee sickness absence: the NEMESIS study. Netherlands Mental Health Survey and Incidence Study. Society of Psychiatric Epidemiology, 2000;35:71- 7.
- Manning MR, Osland JS. The relationship between absenteeism and stress. Work and Stress 1989;3:223- 35.
- Michie S. Reducing absenteeism by stress management: valuation of a stress counselling service, Work and Stress 1996;10:367- 72.
- Muto T, Sumiyoshi Y, Sawada S, et al. Sickness absence due to mental disorders in Japanese workforce Industrial Health 1999;37:243- 2.
- Stansfeld SA, Feeney A, Head J, et al. Sickness absence for psychiatric illness: the Whitehall II Study. Society of Scientific Medicine, 1995;40:189- 97.
- Woo M, Yap AK, Oh TG, et al.. The relationship between stress and absenteeism, Singapore Medicine 1999;40:590- 5.
- Gellatly IR, Luchak AA. Personal and organisational determinants of perceived absence norms. Human Relations 1998;51:1085- 102.
- Iwi D, Watson J, Barber P, et al. The self-reported well-being of employees facing organisational change: effects of an intervention. Occup Med 1998;48:361- 8.
- Lim VKG. Moderating effects of work-based support on the relationship between job insecurity and its consequences. Work and Stress 1997;11:251- 66.
- Malcolm RM, Harrison J, Forster H. Effects of changing the pattern of sickness absence referrals in a local authority. Occup Med 1993;43:211- 5.
- Bertera RL. The effects of workplace health promotion on absenteeism and employment costs in a large industrial population. Am J Public Health 1990;80:1101- 5.
- Conrad KM, Riedel JE, Gibbs JO. Effect of worksite health promotion programs on employee absenteeism. A comparative analysis. AAOHN Journal 1990;38:573- 80.
- Jeffery RW, Forster JL, Dunn BV, et al. Effects of work-site health promotion on illness-related absenteeism. J Occup Med 1993;35:1142- 6.
- Jones RC, Bly SL, Richardson JE. A study of a worksite health promotion program and absenteeism. J Occup Med 1990;32:95- 9.
- Baun WB, Bernacki EJ, Tsai SP. A preliminary investigation: effect of a corporate fitness program on absenteeism and health care cost fitness program on absenteeism and health care cost. J Occup Med 1986;28:18- 22.
- Cox CL, Montgomery AC. Fitness and absenteeism among hospital workers. Clarifying the connection. AAOHN Journal 1991;39:189- 98.
- Bonsall JL, Squier JEO, Baron CA, et al. Effect of physiotherapy on sickness absence in industry: a comparative study. J Occup Med 1991;41:176- 80.
- Haig AJ, Linton P, McKintosh M, et al. Aggressive early medical management by a specialist in physical medicine and rehabilitation: effect on lost time due to injuries in hospital employees. J Occup Med 1990;32:241- 4.
- Leighton L, Williams M, Aubery D, et al. Sickness absence following a campaign of vaccination against influenza in the workplace. Occup Med 1996;46:146- 50.
If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.