Article Text

PDF

Laboratory animal allergy: anaphylaxis from a needle injury.
  1. A D Watt,
  2. C P McSharry
  1. Department of Occupational Medicine, Glasgow Royal Infirmary.

    Abstract

    A 32 year old male research physician accidentally received a minor wound from a needle which had been previously used on rabbit tissue. Within 15 minutes serious anaphylactic reactions started and he was taken to hospital where his condition stabilised within five hours. Serum immunoglobulin E antibodies to rabbit epithelium were high (16.2 U/ml), although other antibody titres were low. Allergy tests were not carried out before employment, so this alarming scenario could not have been predicted. People with confirmed laboratory animal allergy should be warned of the dangers of continued unprotected exposure and avoidance of the allergen should be encouraged by good laboratory practice and respiratory protective equipment.

    Statistics from Altmetric.com

    Request permissions

    If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.