Article Text

PDF

Sodium azide poisoning in five laboratory technicians
  1. O P Edmonds1,
  2. M S Bourne2
  1. 1Occupational Health Service, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
  2. 2The Student Health Centre, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK

    Abstract

    ABSTRACT Five laboratory technicians accidentally ingested sodium azide, in quantities varying from 20 to 80 mg, in tea made from distilled water kept in a laboratory. Four had short-lived symptoms of dizziness, pounding heart, and faintness, while another developed a picture of myocardial ischaemia. He had further episodes of chest pains necessitating admission to hospital. These later symptoms were thought to be psychogenic in origin.

    Statistics from Altmetric.com

    Request permissions

    If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.