Article Text

PDF

Pulmonary Anthrax Caused by Contaminated Sacks
  1. J. B. Enticknap1,
  2. N. S. Galbraith2,
  3. A. J. H. Tomlinson3,
  4. T. F. Elias-Jones4
  1. East Ham Memorial Hospital, London, E.6
  2. The Health Department, London Borough of Newham, London, E.15
  3. The Public Health Laboratory Service, County Hall, London, S.E.1
  4. The City Laboratory, Glasgow

    Abstract

    A 54-year-old Jamaican employed as a grinding machine operator developed pulmonary anthrax and died within two days. In the eight days before his illness he had been grinding sterilized bone charcoal delivered in second-hand sacks, some of which had been used to import the raw bone before its sterilization. Bacillus anthracis was isolated from four out of six sacks examined and is considered to have been the source of the infection.

    Statistics from Altmetric.com

    Request permissions

    If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.